Monday, March 31, 2014

Affirmations


The last two weeks have been long and arduous.  As we begin our journey on the state assessment train,  I was reminded by a colleague how important it is to teach children how to create affirmations for themselves and their goals.  Last Friday, while I was getting ready, I had an idea!  I decided that I would create an affirmation for myself.  I want all of my student to know that they have the potential and the ability to do anything they want, but more importantly, I want them to know that their value as a person is not a measure of the State Assessment.  

I think too often we place such a heavy burden on ourselves and our students to perform well in the "standardized realm."  But what about the other realms that a Standardized test DOES NOT measure?

What about Creativity?
What about Good Character?
What about Empathy for Others?
What about Effort?
What about Compassion?

Are these not a better measurement of a person's worth? I believe that if educators, the people who are in the classroom every day, place more of an emphasis on teaching these lessons, we can relieve the stress placed on our students and the unnecessary stress that we place on ourselves.

I am a good teacher because I work hard for my students and I care about their overall well-being; a standardized test will never measure that.  I hope that all of you know this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment